“Maryland Off Broadway” is a Focused Implementation Plan to create an Art and Entertainment District in Downtown Glendale. The Plan includes an urban design framework, zoning standards, economic development and marketing policies, Central Library renovation plan, Museum of Neon Art, and wayfinding / parking graphics.
The District consists of the two-block long Maryland Avenue corridor on either side of Broadway, which includes the Exchange and Marketplace developments, the associated public parking garages, and a number of vacant properties on Brand Boulevard. The District is anchored at either end by civic and cultural venues – the Alex Theatre and proposed Laemmle Theatres to the north and the Central Library and Museum of Neon Art (MONA) to the south.
The Plan incorporates the following incentives and code amendments specific to the District:
- Creative Sign Ordinance: Enable sculptural or architectural signs of artistic quality expressive of art and entertainment uses.
- Entertainment Operator and Promoter Licensing: Eliminate the CUP and replace with District Operator and Promoter Licenses with pre-approved conditions.
- Amendments to the Development Agreements with the Exchange and Marketplace: Amend the Owner Participation Agreements (OPA) and Disposition and Development Agreements (DDA) to allow for the types of uses desired within the District.
- Entertainment Frontage: Amend the DSP to create Entertainment Frontage to allow and promote entertainment uses in the District.
- Parking Incentives: Explore strategies to minimize parking demands, such as in-lieu fees, universal valet, and shared parking policies.
- Economic Development Incentives: Implement incentives such as tenant improvement program, fast track plan check and project entitlement concierge.
As Principal Urban Designer at the City of Glendale, Alan Loomis was the lead urban designer for “Maryland Off Broadway.”
2018 CALED (California Association for Local Economic Development) Economic Development Gamechanger Award of Merit
2012 APA / Los Angeles Neighborhood Planning Award of Merit